Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The GOP Convention vs. 1st Amendment Rights

In the last 2 days there have been over 300 arrests in the Twins Cities related to the GOP convention. Now, I'm not defending the idiots who broke the windows at Macy's or the jerks deflating peoples tires. That is immature bullshit and it makes us all look bad. What I'm pissed about are the hundreds of people who have been arrested or otherwise detained without having committed a crime. I've even heard about a news team that was arrested and when they pointed to their convention badges the police took the credentials and told them they were operating without a permit. A documentary crew had its cameras seized before they had a chance to even start filming. A billboard was blocked from being put up because our GOP Lt. Gov. thought it "could possibly pose a serious safety risk to commuters on I-94."

Honestly, I'm a little surprised. I know people always complain about the cops being dicks and doing stupid shit like this but I've never seen it happen so close to home on such a grand scale. I guess what it boils down to is that the 1st amendment only applies when it doesn't interfere with someone's political agenda. As the quote goes: "You can have the Model-T in any color, so long as its black."

No comments: